November OHS Lecture - 'Miler Magrath 1522-1622, The Incredible Survivor'
"Miler Magrath 1522-1622, The Incredible Survivor" is the title of this months OHS lecture. The talk will look at the life of the infamous Archbishop of Cashel who started out in the religious life as a Franciscan Friar, managed to be both R C Bishop of Down & Connor and Anglican Archbishop of Cashel. Miler married Annie O'Meara of Lissiniskey and they had nine children. He had extensive land holdings in several parts of Ireland, including Ballinaclough, Annameadle and Tyone. A recent commentator in a newspaper reflected that Magrath's landholdings would have rivaled that of NAMA's.
Our speaker Fr. Patrick Ryan (author of the recently published 'Archbishop Miler Magrath The Enigma of Cashel') is a Holy Ghost (Spiritan) missionary, who was born in Rossmore, Co. Tipperary in 1936. He studied for the priesthood in Kimmage Manor and obtained an M.A. in history from UCD. After ordination in 1964 he taught at the Junior Seminary in Moshi, Tanzania for some six years. For many years he was involved in setting up his congregation’s East African Province, serving as novice master for over a decade. Later he helped set up Spiritan Missionary Seminary in Arusha, Tanzania and acted as Rector. Based in Ireland since 1989, he taught church history at the Kimmage Mission Institute, ministered in Kimmage and Kilcullen parishes as well as completing a ten-year period as parish priest of Greenhills.
Venue; Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh, Monday 3rd Nov., 8.30 P.M.
Archbishop Miler Magrath
July OHS Field Trip - Lahorna/Ashley Park - July 7th 2014
Monday evening next July 7th is the date for our next field trip. We will be meeting at Ardcroney Church car park at 7.15 PM, departing for the Neolithic Tomb at Lahorna at 7.30 PM. Following this we will be visiting Ashley Park House & Walled Garden. Our guide on the evening, Danny Grace, will also be telling us all about the "Mythical Lake". Looking forward to seeing as many as possible along on the evening. Trip is open to all so bring along friends/family. Non OHS members are welcome to come along & there is no charge.
April OHS Field Trip to Dublin, June 7th 2014
Saturday June 7th is the date for our field trip to Dublin. Coach departs Banba Square, Nenagh at 7.45AM, pickup in Moneygall at 8.05AM. We will arrive in Dublin at 10.15 approx. where our first stop will be the National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks, there we have a choice of viewing the 1916 Exhibition or the Soldiers and Chiefs Exhibition. At 12.30 we will leave Collins Barracks and walk around to Arbour Hill Cemetery, where we will visit the grave of the executed 1916 leaders. At 13.00 we will depart Collins Barracks by coach for Glasnevin Cemetery where we will have lunch in the Tower Cafe. After lunch we will attend the daily Historic Re Enactment in Glasnevin, following which we will have a guided tour of Glasnevin Cemetery. The tour will be conducted by Paddy Gleeson who gave the recent OHS lecture on Glasnevin. We will depart for home at 17.00, arriving back in Nenagh 19.45 (approx).
Cost of the trip is €35 per person. Cost includes hot lunch + tea/coffee and admission charges. Travel is by air conditioned coach & toilet facilities are available aboard. Bookings are on a first come basis and must be accompanied by €35. Contact either Donal Whelan@ 067-24760/ 087-2905904 or John Flannery 067-34470/ 086-2577103.
April OHS Lecture - "The Emergency within The Emergency"
"The Emergency within The Emergency" - this months Ormond Historical Society Lecture, explores the role of subversive organisations in the Irish State during WWII and the Irish Government's response to the threat posed.
Lecturer; Mr Paul Hayes. Paul is a member of the OHS and lectures in 19th and 20th Century history at University of Limerick. He is currently completing his PhD thesis.
Venue; Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh, Monday 8th April, 8.30 P.M.
Clonkeen Graveyard Historic Walk
OHS members are invited to join in a historic tour & talk at Clonkeen Graveyard on Saturday next 16th March. The talk is being given by Brother Coleman of Glenstall Abbey. Clonkeen Graveyard is on the R506 from Annacotty to Murroe - turn left at traffic lights on old N7 after Finnegans, just beyond Barringtons bridge you will find Clonkeen Graveyard on left. Meeting at Clonkeen 2.00 PM. Clonkeen is in the ancient Barony of Owney & Arra, which includes part of north west Tipperary & east Limerick.
Tipperary Hearth Money Rolls now available here on OHS website
The Tipperary Hearth Money Rolls, being a list of householders in County Tipperary in the years 1665-1667 is now available in pdf format on our Archives Page. The book is arranged by Barony and Civil Parish. You can also click here to download it.
March Lecture on Lord Norbury - The Hanging Judge
Lord Norbury, His Life, Times & Reputationis the title of the OHS March lecture, which will take place on Monday next, March 4th in the Abbey Court Hotel at 8.30 pm.
Lord Norbury (Pic. courtesy of Honourable Society of Kings Inns)
One of the most notorious figures in Irish history, Lord Norbury, was borne in Beechwood, Nenagh in 1745. During his life John Toler - Lord Norbury, served as MP for several constituencies in Grattan's Parliament, Attorney General, member of the Privy Council of Ireland & Chief Justice of The Common Pleas, amassing a sizeable fortune along the way. In the course of his legal career he was responsible for the prosecution of the Sheares brothers along with many of the insurgents of 1798. In his role as Judge, in 1803, he passed the death sentence on Robert Emmet. Always controversial & never dull, during his time on the bench Toler earned for himself the sobriquet of " The Hanging Judge". His courtroom was regularly packed to capacity - the audience guaranteed to be entertained by the proceedings. His pronouncements always made the news with some newspapers of the day running a "Lord Norbury's Latest Pronouncements" column. The upcoming Ormond Historical Society lecture will look at the life of John Toler - Lord Norbury, his family association with Nenagh & Co Tipperary, his dramatic rise to power, his reputation as a duelist, & the role he played during one of the most turbulent & bloody periods of Irish History.
John Flannery is a Committee member, Projects Officer & Secretary of the OHS. In 2011 he delivered a talk on the History of Cartography and last year guided two of the Society's field trips - Glenkeen, Borrisoleigh & Nenagh Courthouse. His notes on Glenkeen, Borrisoleigh were published in the Borrisoleigh Annual 2012.
January Lecture; Years of Crisis - Nenagh 1914-1921
Years of Crisis Nenagh 1914-1921is the title of the OHS January lecture, which will take place on Monday next January 14th in the Abbey Court Hotel at 8.30 pm.
This illustrated talk will look at life in Nenagh during the tumultuous years from 1914 to 1921. Our lecturer will be Gerard Dooley M.A. and full details of the lecture content along with biographical details of Gerard are available here
Dr. Daire Keogh to deliver Edmund Rice Lecture
Edmund Rice - 250 Years Onis the title of the OHS December lecture, which will take place on Monday next December 3rd in the Abbey Court Hotel at 8.30 pm.
This lecture is all the more topical as this year marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of Edmund Rice and also the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the Christian Brothers in Nenagh.
Edmund Ignatius Rice Dr. Daire Keogh
Edmund Rice was born in 1762 into a prosperous farming family near Callan, Co. Kilkenny. At the age of sixteen he joined his uncles business in Waterford and quickly established himself as a successful merchant. In 1785 he married Mary Elliott, but she died just four years later, leaving him with a handicapped daughter. His wife's death had a profound effect on him and he decided to abandon his privileged lifestyle and devote his life to the education of poor boys in Waterford. He opened his first school in 1802 and from these humble beginnings the two great religious orders he founded - the Christian Brothers and the Presentation Brothers - would have a profound effect on Irish education and further afield during the following two centuries.
Dr Daire Keogh,who was recently appointed President of St Patrick's College, Drumcondra, is an accomplished scholar and educator, who has written and edited sixteen books, primarily on the history of popular politics, religion and education in Ireland. This Includes two works on Edmund Ignatius Rice - Edmund Rice 1762-1844 (published 1996) and Edmund Rice & The First Christian Brothers (published 2008) His doctoral research at Trinity College, Dublin, was on Ireland in the Age of the French Revolution.
A former Government of Ireland Senior Research Fellow, he is currently Principal Investigator of a major international project to edit the correspondence of Cardinal Paul Cullen (1803-1878).
He is a founding member of the European Quality Assurance Register committee, the body charged by EU governments with monitoring Quality Assurance across the continent.
He has lectured widely at universities in Europe, America and Australia
His career in education is characterised by broad and sustained community engagement in a variety of sectors.
He is currently a Trustee of the Edmund Rice Schools.
A native of Dublin, Daire is a past pupil of Synge Street CBS, and a graduate of UCD and TCD. He pursued further studies at the Gregorian University (Rome) and Glasgow University.
Invitation from Silvermines Historical Society to the launch of their new book -
MINING THE PAST, The History, People & Places of Silvermines District.
Venue: The Eagles Nest, Dolla,
Friday 9th November 8.00 pm
All are welcome
November Lecture: 90 Years of Irish Postage StampsILLUSTRATED TALK by Fr. John Jones P.P. Abbey Court Hotel Mon. Nov. 5th 8.30PM
Having studied 90 years of Irish Postage stamps, Fr. Jones has concluded that what's represented reflects who and what people want honoured. eg In 1941 the 25th Anniversary of the 1916 rising was commemorated on a stamp depicting a Volunteer carrying a gun, different to what appeared on stamps brought out to honour the 50th Anniversary. He also provides some interesting facts on unusual Irish stamps - eg one brought out by anti-treaty forces had Poblacht na hEireann inscribed, as opposed to the Saorstat Eireann overprint on the official government issues.
For many years Fr. Jones was a member of the teaching staff of St. Flannan's College in Ennis and is currently Parish Priest of Mountshannon, Co Clare. This should prove to be a very interesting and informative lecture.
Upcoming Series of LecturesOct. 15th Portroe to Castleton – The Slate Quarry Emigrants
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Oct. 22nd AGM + Slide Presentation on Boyne Valley
NOTE VENUE Ballycommon Hall 8.30pm
Nov. 5th Ireland’s History through Postage Stamps
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Dec. 3rd Edmund I. Rice – Founder of Irish Christian Bros.
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Jan. 14th Nenagh 1913 – 1920, War & an Irish Town
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Feb. 4th The Place Names of Arra & Ormond
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Mar. 4th John Toler of Beechwood – “Hanging Norbury”
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Apr. 3rd Topic to be decided
Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm
Extra Lecture on October 15thUsually OHS run a series of six lectures during the winter months, commencing in November. However, this year we are delighted to announce that we have a bonus lecture for October--
Portroe To Castleton - The Slate Quarry Emigrants; (Rebuilding a Tipperary Community in Rural Vermont.)
Speaker - Mr Peter PattenIn the 1800’s the Portroe Slate Quarries were one of the largest employers in North Tipperary. However the onset of the Great Famine 1n the 1840’s saw a significant decline in the numbers employed in Portroe. Many of those who lost their jobs decided to emigrate and in the words of our lecturer Peter Patten, “They pretty much reformed their community here (Castleton, Vermont) in a strikingly similar landscape.” Peter Patten, is a Graduate in History from Castleton State College, Vermont, USA, whose ancestors hail from the Garrykennedy area. He grew up hearing the lore, stories and biographies of the families who came to Vermont from the Arra Mts. and Lough Derg shore in the mid to late 1800’s, to follow their traditional trade of slate making and quarrying.” While my buddies were out hunting or fishing, I was talking to the old timers trying to hunt down their family's parish or townland of origin.”
Venue; Abbey Court Hotel, Oct. 15th at 8.30 pm.
Left; Slate Quarries, Portroe 1845. Right; Castleton Slate Quarries 1800’s
Great Turnout for Courthouse & Old Gaol Visit
Tunnel linking Courthouse to Old Gaol (photo; John Flannery)
Next outing; Monday 23rd July at 7.30 P.M.
DANNY GRACE, local historian and Society Committee member, will conduct the tour.
PLACES TO SEE:
(1) We begin our outing at KILLODIERNAN OLD CHURCH, with its interesting features dating back to the Twelfth Century. From the churchyard there are panoramic views of the site of JOHNSTOWN HOUSE and POULAWEE LOUGH, two places also steeped in history.
(2) We will then return towards Puckane to visit the recently renovated early nineteenth century CHURCH OF IRELAND CHURCH of KILLODIERNAN.
(3) Our tour finishes at the former KILLODIERNAN RECTORY (now the home of Albert and Florrie Purcell). (Mrs Purcell has very kindly invited participants to a cup of tea, so to show our appreciation the Society has decided to take up a voluntary collection at the end of the tour, the proceeds to be presented to Mrs Purcell for the North Tipperary Hospice Movement.
HOW TO GET THERE:
Those familiar with the location of Killodiernan old graveyard should go there directly. (After passing the C of I church, follow the narrow road to your left for about a mile, keeping left at a junction on the narrow road). If you are not familiar with the area wait at the C. of I. church and you will be guided from there. But please be there by 7.15 pm as we would like to begin the tour promptly at 7.30 pm.
Killodiernan (photo; Martin McLoughlin)
Next outing; Sunday 24th. June.
Hoping to see many of you on the 24th.
We have received permission to sell the dvd of Jack Powell's talk . His nominated charity is Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind. We have started producing them and have them for sale in Newsfayre’s two shops in Pearse St. @ € 10 each. Alternatively contact me @ 067-24760/087-2905904 to collect. By post add packaging € 1.
Updated notes on Borrisoleigh Field TripIf you already downloaded the handout for the Borrisoleigh Field Trip you might like to download the updated version which contains material used on the evening but which was not included in the original pdf. - www.ormondhistory.ie/Borrisoleigh.pdf
Large Attendance at Borrisoleigh Field TripGreat turnout for Borrisoleigh Field Trip this evening. Hope everyone enjoyed the outing and that you discovered some nugget of information you didn't possess previously. Thanks for all the positive feedback. I certainly discovered a tremendous amount whilst compiling the outing and enjoyed the trip of discovery which it ended up being. If anyone wants the handout from the evening you can print it from here - www.ormondhistory.ie/Borrisoleigh.pdf
Upcoming Field Trip to Borrisoleigh - Monday 28th MayFirst field trip of 2012 will take place on the evening of Mon. May 28th. to Borrisoleigh. We will be visiting Glenkeen burial ground, Church of the Sacred Heart & Ileigh Church. We will be looking at the history of these sites inc. St Cualan's connection to Glenkeen, St Cualan's Bell Shrine, the De Burgo tomb, Australian War Grave, History of The Church of the Sacred Heart, History of Ileagh Church, Republican graves in Ileigh, among other items. Leaving Banba at 07.00 PM to travel on to Borrisoleigh, or meet up at Junction of R498 & L4142 at 7.30 PM (Ballyroan - Nenagh side of Borrisoleigh)
Thomas McDonagh Weekend - CloughjordanThe fourth annual Thomas MacDonagh Weekend takes place in Cloughjordan from 4th to 7th May. Once again Cloughjordan honours the patriot, poet, writer, scholar and gaelgóir in an extensive programme of events. Although there is diversity in the events, all reflect the legacy of Thomas MacDonagh. He found solace in turbulent times recalling the beauty of nature and the changing seasons around the woods at home and this is celebrated in a Heritage Flower Display which is coordinated by professional florist, Maura Lovelock, in the Methodist Church. Lily de Silva will be the guide through Knocknacree Wood and more of MacDonagh’s poems, erected along the pathways, will be unveiled. Guided tours of Cloughjordan’s Eco Project will also take place.
Thomas MacDonagh’s interest in painting led him to spend a year in Paris where he studied Art. He did not pursue that career however, unlike the many professional and amateur artists who will exhibit at a Charity Art Exhibition and Sale in the MacDonagh Schoolhouse. The pupils in the senior classes of the four Primary Schools in Cloughjordan Parish have been invited to present their impressions of the poem: I Heard a Music Sweet Today, which will also be on display.
Children will be welcome at the Family Fun Day at Django’s Hostel where all ages can enjoy entertainment with barbecue, Book Fair and the Circus Group and MacDonagh Pipe Band. The Rambling House has a welcome to all to share song, music and story and a there will be a special contribution from the Cloughjordan Drama Group. Bi linn agus fáilte chuig an Oíche Ghaelach.
Last year Leo Cullen, poet and regular contributor to RTE Radio’s Sunday Miscellany, came and so enjoyed the Weekend that he was eager to return. He will present a Poetry Hour and also with his good humour and lively wit read from his own writings at the Writers Group event. The Sunday Talk will focus on a social history of the years leading up to Easter 1916 and the following years, including the Suffragette Movement, the Great Lockout, Recruiting for WW1 etc.
History and Heritage will be the focus on the opening night of the Weekend. The Heritage Group will launch Volume VII of the Cloughjordan Heritage series, continuing the work begun by Canon E. White and Danny Grace. This is the biggest volume to date and brings together contributions from the parish and surrounding areas. It presents new research, reports, profiles, memories of people and places with poems and photos and a special record the families of Kyle. There are many surprises within the pages, lots to jog the memory and bring a smile.
Programme of Events
Posted April 6th at 14:30 P.M.
April Lecture by Mr Jack PowellOrmond Historical Society will host a talk by 99 year old Veterinary Surgeon, Mr Jack Powell in the Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh on Monday 16th April at 8.00 p.m. Mr Powell was born in 1913, educated first in Toomevara N.S., attended veterinary college in Dublin, graduating in 1936. He practised first in England, where he joined the Canadian Air Force, serving as a flying instructor during WWII. He returned to Nenagh in 1947 and established a veterinary practise from which he just recently retired. This is definitely a lecture not to be missed, from an amazing individual whose lifespan encompasses two world wars, the war of Independence, civil war and the establishment of the Irish Free State in 1923. A man with great vitality and powers of recollection, Mr Powell is sure to entertain and enlighten all with his reminiscence on life in North Tipperary & in wartime Britain
Posted March 30th at 11:15 A.M.
New Feature Page article by Danny GraceCheck out the new Feature article on "Stopping Up a Mass Path" by OHS member Danny Grace.
Posted March 6th at 11:15 A.M.
Large audience for Brendan Treacy illustrated lectureA large and appreciative audience attended Brendan Treacy's lecture on the changing face of Nenagh which took place last night in the Abbey Court Hotel. The photos which Brendan used to illustrate his talk certainly took many people down memory lane. Street views from the end of the 19th century, views of the busy cattle fairs held on the town's streets on the first Monday of every month, up until the opening of the livestock mart in the early sixties. Shops like Bridgy Clancy's on Dublin Rd. & Andy Ryan's in Kenyon St. where we bought sweets. The Ormond Garage in Pearse St, which used to screen Ford Rally sport films in the '60's, depicting the exploits of legendary names like Roger Clark, Timo Makinen & Paddy Hopkirk. Many of the photos used in the talk depicted some of the great characters who added to the rich taprestry of life in Nenagh down the years.
Pearse St Nenagh c.1960 Fans of Brendan's work in reproducing the Nenagh of bygone days are in for a treat with the news of an impending new book of photos later in the year.Reminder; Next month's lecture will be on Mon. April 16th (on account of Easter) and will commence at earlier time of 08:00 PM.
Posted March 5th at 20:10 P.M.
Minister commits to opening date for Nenagh CastleIn the course of his visit to to Nenagh Castle today, Minister Brian Hayes TD, Minister of State for Public Service Reform and the Office of Public Works gave a commitment that the castle would be ready for opening on the 6th June next. The Minister met with members of the OHS committee & members of Nenagh Tourism Marketing & Development Commitee. Both organizations have been working for many years to achieve the restoration of the Keep along with the preservation & stabilization of the remainder of the castle. Whilst on site the Minister agreed to the June opening date and instructed the OPW staff and local authority to work towards this date.The Minister was accompanied by members of his staff & by Mr Noel Coonan T.D. for North Tipperary, who was instrumental in arranging the visit.
Posted March 4th at 11:48 P.M.
Minister visits Nenagh Castle to inspect restoration workBrian Hayes T.D. Minister of State for Public Service Reform and the Office of Public Works will visit Nenagh castle on Monday 5th March to view the ongoing restoration works taking place at the castle. During his visit the minister will meet with members of the OHS & Nenagh Tourism Development committee, both of whom have been pressing for the restoration of the castle over several decades. The visit has been aranged with the assistance of Mr Noel Coonan T.D. who has been a strong advocate of the committees efforts in relation to the restoration of this important historic gem.
Posted March 1st at 11:08 P.M.
The Changing Face of NenaghMarch Lecture - Monday night next, 5th. Abbey Court Hotel 8.30pm ‘The Changing face of Nenagh’. Speaker:Mr. Brendan Treacy. Nenagh native, Brendan has previously addressed our society. He has published five collections of photographs in book form, drawn from his archive of over 40000 images to chronicle all aspects of Nenagh life over the decades. This illustrated talk will focus on the changes to the physical face of Nenagh.
Posted Feb.10th at 10:08 P.M.
Faddan More LectureLast Monday's night's lecture on the Faddan More Psalter, by John Gillis, drew the largest attendance of this seasons talks. John Gillis gave an excellent, informative and entertaining presentation on one of the most important archaeological discoveries ever found in this region. The enigma of the psalter cover gave rise to many questions and much surmising by the very appreciative audience. It is amazing that any of the folios survived at all after a thousand years in a bog and is testament to the work of John & the other members of the team who worked so assiduously in pioneering the techniques which enabled the Psalter to be preserved. We were delighted that Kevin Leonard, one of the owners of Faddan More Bog where the Psalter was discovered, was able to attend.
Posted Feb.04th at 10:35 P.M.
New photographs posted in web galleryCheck out the latest additions to the new look web gallery Also, it is now possible to enter comments on the photographs and on the albums, & we will be delighted to hear your views.
Matt McGrath participating in 1912 Olympics
Posted Jan.22nd at 18:05 P.M.
John Gillis, Senior Conservator of Manuscripts, Trinity College Dublin, to lecture on The Faddan More Psalter, Co. Tipperary.In July 2006 one of the most significant Irish archaeological discoveries was uncovered in a peat bog at Faddan More near Lorrha in North Tipperary - an early medieval manuscript on vellum containing a copy of the Psalms in a contemporary leather cover. This was the first ever discovery of its kind in Ireland and indeed anywhere in the world and is of international importance. The lecture offers a glimpse into the recovery, assessment and the complex and groundbreaking conservation process that followed and how the unique circumstances of this discovery will add to our understanding of early monastic life in Ireland.
Title: An Exciting Local Discovery: The Faddan More Psalter, Co. Tipperary
Place and Time: Monday 6th February 2012, 8.30 pm, Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh
Admission : Members; Free. Non-Members; €5.
Fadden More Psalter as originally found
Posted Jan.14th at 23:15 P.M.
New album of old postcards in Gallery and link to Cartography lecture now active
There is an album of old postcards now in the Gallery and the link to the cartography lecture, which had a problem, is now working. If you would like to review this lecture try clicking on the link. Apologies to anyone who was trying to access this before now.
Also, if anyone has old postcards of the region or images of same which they are willing to share, we'd be delighted to hear from you
OHS Website unveiled to members
Following last night's lecture the OHS website was unveiled to members by OHS Hon. Secretary, John Flannery,
who developed the site. A brief tour of the site and its content was given. Members were encouraged to
forward photographs and links for inclusion in the site. Already this appeal has resulted in several new links being
added to the Links page - thanks to Paul Hayes who forwarded 13 new links. Reaction to the website has been very good
and ideas for some exciting additions were floated. Keep checking back here for news on new developments or check out
our Facebook page
Freida Kelly speaks on the life of Thomas Addis Emmet
The next lecture of the society will be held on Monday, 9th. January in the Abbey Court Hotel @ 8.30 p.m.
Title of Lecture:" Introducing Thomas Addis Emmet."
Speaker: Ms. Freida Kelly. The talk will examine the life of Thomas Addis Emmet, who's family story began in Tipperary Town.
Freida is a mature history graduate of NUI Maynooth with a special interest in 18th. and 19th. Century Ireland and is currently involved in writing a biography of Thomas Addis Emmet (1764-1827). She spent 20 years as a guide in Kilmainham Gaol where Thomas Addis Emmet was imprisoned before he was banished into exile in France, she is also the author of the first history of Kilmainham Gaol.
Ms. Kelly has recently returned frpm a successful tour of the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida and new York where she spoke on the life of Thomas Addis Emmet. She actually stayed with the Emmet family in new York where she made some further progress in researching Emmet’s life in America. This is a work in progress.
Freida Kelly recently finished a screenplay on Thomas’ life and this, at present, is in treatment ,ready for submission to the Film Board.
Admission : Members; Free. Non-Members; €5.
Thomas Addis Emmet
Posted Nov.28th at 22:30 P.M.
Whelan, Head of Department of History at UL to speak at December
December lecture will take place in the Abbey Court Hotel,
Nenagh on Monday Dec. 5th at 8.30 p.m. The speaker is Bernadette
Whelan, B.A. (N.U.I.), M.A. (N.U.I.),
PH.D. (N.U.I.),, Head of the Deptartment of History at
University of Limerick. The topic is:
"Women, Emigration and
American Experience 1900-1960"
Admission : Members; Free. Non-Members; €5.
Posted Nov.19th at 20:30 P.M.
OHS on Facebook
OHS now have a Facebook page where members can post items of interest to fellow members. You need to have a facebook account to post on the site. Click the Facebook link on the right to access the page.
If you wish to contact the
committee you can email email@example.com
The next lecture of the season will take place in the Abbey Court Hotel on Mon 5th Dec. at 08.30 pm. The speaker will be Dr Bernadette Whelan from University of Limerick.
Last months lecture by Dr Rose Cleary on the excavation of the Neolithic site at Tullaheady was well attended & proved to be very interesting, particularly the fact that Lough Derg extended right to Tullaheady during this period. For anyone who missed this lecture or members who might like to revisit the topic Dr Cleary's slides are now available on our Archive page.
All in all it has been a busy time for the OHS recently, with the AGM taking place in October & also the launch by OHS Member Tim Boland of his book on the life of Fr John Kenyon. The book was launched on Oct 7th last in the Parish centre , Templederry, a parish />which was home to Fr Kenyon from 1842 until his death in 1869. The book " Father John Kenyon The Rebel Priest" is available from local bookshops priced €22.